For the last 15 years, the technological breakthrough happened in our national dentistry: new materials appeared; the modern high-quality aesthetic dentures started being applied. The patients’ desire to have aesthetic, harmless orthopedic structures with maximally lengthy operating life contributes to development of new technologies in prosthodontics.
Zirconium dioxide (ZrO2) is the compound of zirconium element, which has been applied in orthopedic dentistry for about 10-15 years.
The crowns from zirconium oxide are created manually, using the high precision computer equipment; it is the equipment of the last generation. The dental technical laboratory of Oxford Medical clinic network has its own equipment that allows performing high- quality works quickly.
The creation of nonmetal crown as per CAD/CAM technology (computer-assisted design/computer-assisted manufacturing) fundamentally differs frommanual casting of porcelain fused metal.
This technology allows milling frames, using the method of laser scanning of the dental row of the concrete patient (the scanned model is made as per the cast, taken by the doctor). The parameters of a future tooth are provided based on the obtained data, using computer software (computer modelling of the future crown). This digital information is transferred to the special milling machine, where the frame is milled from zirconia ready materials.
The gap tolerance between the tooth and the crown is 100 – 300 mcm. The use of digital technologies allowed decreasing this value to 30 mcm. For the patient, it means that the junction between the tooth and the crown will be maximally precise.
ZIRCONIUM DIOXIDE DENTAL DENTURES HAVE SOME ADVANTAGES:
- High aesthetics and naturalness. The color of the base of porcelain fused to metal crowns is metallic, while for zirconium dioxide crowns, the color is matched at the level of the frame (white) that allows optimally imitating the natural shade of teeth and achieving excellent aesthetic results. Meanwhile, the tooth transparency remains natural in any light. Unlike the metal, the zirconium dioxide does not deform and change its color over time.
- Absence of gum changes around crowns. Many patients complain about a dark rim around the gum or a change of color (lividity, redness) of the gums around porcelain fused to metal crowns. The reason for that is the presence of metal frame, which makes negative impact on the surrounding tissues. Of course, not everybody has such changes, but there are many such complaints. The zirconium dioxide dentures finally solved such problems.
- Biocompatibility. The hypoallergic properties of zirconium dioxide are widely known in medicine, because for many years it was used in endoprosthodontics (while fabricating the heads of artificial hip joints that points out the high strength of this material). Taking into account the frequency of the most allergic reactions among population, the doctors do not get surprised with the allergy even to noble metal alloys (gold and platinum, gold and palladium etc), while the zirconium dioxide properties give chance to the allergy patients, who lost hope.
- Thermal insulation. For patients, whose teeth are extremely sensitive to cold and hot, such dentures are a definitive solution of a problem of prosthodontics on the live teeth. After the denture placement, the teeth temperature sensitivity decreases, often even lower than overall average indicators, due to the fact that zirconium oxide is a good thermal insulator, protecting teeth from temperature changes. The thermal insulation properties allow using zirconium dioxide for fabricating an inlay core (pin), thus guaranteeing the absence of thermal periapical irritation.
- Lightness and firmness. Zirconium dioxide is partially stabilized by the yttrium and dressed by aluminum. It gives it extremely high positive physical characteristics; on the other hand, the material has a unique quality to restore its structure at a molecular level in case of appearance of micro-fissures. The high material firmness allows fabricating crowns for dental implants in combination with porcelain abutments. The zirconia crowns are manufactured not only for front teeth – the modern technologies allow fabricating crowns for lateral, buccal teeth.
- The highest crack resistance among porcelain materials.
- Minimal treatment of hard dental tissues. The thickness of zirconium oxide frame is just 0.4 mm that enables to mill teeth minimally and even allows placing dentures for live teeth.
- Ideal material for fixation of the vertical dimension of occlusion. The zirconium dioxide does not have porosity versus ceramics; that is why the abrasiveness of antagonists is much lower. The possibility of milling anatomic crowns allows the doctor to use them while placing dentures of opposite crowns for fixation of the vertical dimension of occlusion.
Two types of zirconium dioxide structures exist on the dental market: stabilized by yttrium oxide and treated with glass, which are a more affordable offer.
The work of dentists in Oxford Medical clinic is akin to the work of art restorer: we try not to just restore the affected tissues, but also return an excellent appearance to them so that you enjoy the results of our work together with us.
Make an appointment for a free consultation with the dentist by calling us right now at (044) 204 40 40 and we will definitely help you.