The pathologic hair loss is called an alopecia. About 50% of men, aged 50, have the signs of male pattern baldness, while approximately 40% of women have the signs of hair loss. The hair loss results in its thinning, in some cases – full disappearance on some areas of the head and body.
TYPES AND CAUSES OF HAIR LOSS DISEASE
The most widespread types of hair loss are:
- patchy (circumscribed);
The androgenic hair loss is the hair loss, which is observed in both men and women and occurs as the result of impact of hair bulbs of male sex hormones on the cells.
- polycystic ovary syndrome;
- taking certain medications (testosterone, anabolic steroids, progesterone);
- pituitary and ovarian hyperplasia;
- enlargement of adrenal cortex.
The loss of mature hair is the thinning of hair, leading to decrease of hair density, but not causing the full baldness. Causes:
- the postnatal period as the result of physiological changes of female organism;
- taking certain medications (hormonal contraceptives, antitumor medications, preparations, lowering blood clotting etc.);
- endocrine system disorders;
- irrational nutrition.
The loss of growing hair virtually always leads to full baldness. Its causes include:
- mycosis fungoidea;
- undergoing the radiation therapy;
- taking medications (antitumor medications, allopurinol, bromocriptine);
- poisoning with the arsenic, boric acid, gold etc.
A cicatrix hair loss is the appearance of shiny smooth areas without hair bulbs on the hairy part of head skin. The main causes for cicatrix hair loss:
- congenital malformation of hair bulbs;
- pigment spots;
- lichen ruber planus;
- basal cell carcinoma;
- impact of acids, alkali, extreme temperatures.
SYMPTOMS OF HAIR LOSS
It is important to know that the hair loss should be relevantly equal within the whole day. The big concentration of lost hair in one place can be the first sign of developing hair loss. However, it is also important that hair loss is not always accompanied by the intense hair loss. For example, in case of patchy hair loss, the patches can manifest themselves on different regions of the head skin, and the man can even not suspect of their existence.
As far as the pronounced signs are concerned, the first stages of disease among men are manifested in form of frontal bald patches and among women – slight, virtually unnoticeable thinning of hair in the parting. We need to keep in mind: the severer the stage of hair loss is, the more difficult the hair restoration will be.
TREATMENT OF THE DISEASE
Nowadays, there are several methods of treatment of this disease. The comprehensive approach to this disease is characteristic to all types of treatment. It is quite difficult to diagnose the cause for hair loss, but thee experienced specialists of Oxford Medical clinic will always be able to choose the effective treatment. If the disease occurs after completion of puberty, then in 80% of cases, the hair growth is fully renewed. The main thing is to timely visit a specialist.
WHY OXFORD MEDICAL
- We offer qualitative medical services of European standard at affordable prices for each patient.
- The experienced doctors, who will help you to solve virtually every dermatological problem, work in the Dermatology Department of our clinic.
The modern equipment, qualified personnel and qualitative service contribute to achievement of the best results of treatment of skin diseases.