The photodermatosis or photodermatitis is the skin disease, which is caused by hypersensitivity to sunlight. It is characterized by skin rash, burning and persistent itching. Mainly the people with light, tender skin, young ladies, children and the aged are susceptible to photodermatosis. The photodermatosis is a relevantly rare disease that is usually encountered among people with weakened defenses of the human organism. The sunrays themselves do not cause allergy – they are just indicative of presence of deeper internal problem of the organism.
CAUSES OF PHOTODERMATOSIS
The different chemical substances as well as the products of their transmutation in human organism, depositing under skin, are the main cause for photoallergic and phototoxic reactions on some areas of skin integuments, exposed to direct sunrays.
The causes for appearance of photodermatosis may be:
- use of perfumery and cosmetic products, containing musk, bergamot oil and sandal;
- skin contact with the sap of certain plants (wild angelica, some species of cow parsnip etc.);
- application of disinfectants;
- intake of some medications – certain types of antibiotics, tetracyclines, neuroleptics, immunosuppressants, some drugs for treating the diabetes etc.
SYMPTOMS OF PHOTODERMATOSIS
The photodermatosis manifests itself through the following symptoms:
- skin redness;
The photodermatosis usually occurs on the open skin areas: face, ears, neck, decollate, wrists, shoulders. The first symptoms of the disease are usually developed in several hours after direct skin exposure to sun rays. In case of the delayed type of photodermatosis, the reaction is manifested within approximately 18-72 hours. The people with extreme hypersensitivity sometimes have a bronchospasm as well as the decrease of arterial pressure and even the loss of consciousness.
It is important to remember that each man has his individual threshold of sensitivity to ultraviolet impact. It is important: if you want to have good suntan, then, before going to the beach, necessarily take care to have reliable protective remedies against sunrays. Choose also the right time for suntan, namely from 7 to 11 am and after 5 pm.
PHOTODERMATOSIS DIAGNOSIS AND TREATMENT
During the treatment of patients with photodermatosis, first of all, the impact of photosensitizers is excluded or reduced. The external treatment is selected depending on the acuteness and severity of inflammatory reaction. It excludes the application of different remedies – from lotions to anti-inflammatory ointments, including corticosteroids. The priority task of therapy of all types of photodermatosis is the decrease of photosensitization; that is why the drugs with photosensitizing effect (beta-carotene, paraaminobenzoic acid etc) are applied as the first remedies during treatment of patients.
The comprehensive therapy of this disease includes taking vitamins A and E, which are natural antioxidants. The use of antioxidants is also possible in formulas of different cosmetic products: green tea extract, grape seed, wild chamomile, bark of maritime pine, bachelor's button etc.
ADVANTAGES OF DERMATOLOGY DEPARTMENT OF OXFORD MEDICAL CLINIC
- The specialists, who treat not only the symptoms, but also accurately find the first cause of disease and effectively combat it, work in the Dermatology Department of Oxford Medical clinic.
- The dermatologists of our clinic never make the treatment a secret. We always give detailed explanation to our patients what they need to do and undergo, and what is required for that.
Oxford Medical clinic allows each patient to use our services: the prices for diagnosis and treatment are affordable to everybody.